Cher, Dog Caregiver--Extensive Experience
Experience:  Extensive Experience Caring for Canines; Specializing in behavior and health concerns.

My dog is breathing hard and not moving around to good

My dog is 14 and was outside in the cold for 4 hours 10 degrees...She is breathing hard and not getting around too good...what do I need to do
Category: Dog
Expert:  Cher replied 8 years ago.

Your dog is suffering from hypothermia, so continue to keep her warm, by covering her with blankets, and an electric blanket or heating pad, if you have one (monitor it closely); also, offer her some warm (not hot) chicken broth (no onions/garlic). You can also wipe her down with warm damp washcloths, but make sure she doesn't get a chill when the air hits her fur. Try warming some large towels in the dryer, to cover her. Also, offer her room temperature water to drink (not cold,warm or hot). She's breathing hard, because this is a symptom of hypothermia.

If you have an ER vet center in your area, bring her in to be seen. She may have frostbite on her paws and they can probably bring her temperature up to normal, more quickly than you can, with warm IV fluids.

I hope she'll be alright.