Dr. Louis Gotthelf
Dr. Louis Gotthelf, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, Owner of a small animal clinic and an ear/skin clinic 35 years

Do female dogs have a strong odor while in heat

She is about 7 months old and has a very strong Fishy smell. I haven''t noticed any bleeding though. She''s a mini english bulldog.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Louis Gotthelf replied 6 years ago.
When a dog is in heat, she secretes Pheremones, which you can't smell, but a male dog can smell this scent for miles. What you are probably smelling is the anal gland seretion from the glands outside of the anal region. Ask your vet to check these and empty them if they are full.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your first response. I had thought about the anal glands but the more I have thought about it today I am thinking it has something to do with her urine. I have not been leaving water available to her while in her crate because I was afraid this would hurt the house breaking process. I have scrubbed down her crate, washed her blanket and stuffed toys. Before washing them I smelled them and she had urinated on them which smelled like the fishy smell we have been smelling. Is this something I need to take her to the vet for or should I try giving her more water to see if that would help?
Puppies tend to drink a lot of water. She should be getting about an ounce of water for each pound of body weight daily. You can add water to the food or feed canned food to increase water consumption without just putting down a big bowl of water. Obviously a dilute urine will not smell as intense as concentrated or dried urine.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I do add water to her food. Do you think we should take her to the vet for this? I don't want to be one of those people who run her the vet every time something doesn't seem right...
Expert:  replied 6 years ago.
If there is just odor and she is not straining to urinate, or having any pain when she urinates, then I would wait until she is out of heat to see the vet.
Dr. Louis Gotthelf, Veterinarian
Experience: Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, Owner of a small animal clinic and an ear/skin clinic 35 years