Bully Breeder
Bully Breeder, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  10 years breeding, 6 years in Veterinary medicine, Lifetime of Dog ownership

My dogs tail is bent in. Is she sick It started today.

she is still wagging it, but it loops around her bum. She''s a staffy.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Bully Breeder replied 8 years ago.
Hello, slumped tail or bent tail can indicate that your dog is stressed, scared, not feeling well, upset tummy, or even anal gland issues. I would try to start to weed out the issues by process of elimination. Try to lift up on her tail. If she flinches or yelps or acts uncomfortable then she may have an issue with her anal glands or tail itself. Take a closer look at the tail and so forth to see if you can identify a problem. If she does not flinch at all then there could be something else going on with her. If she is not eating or acting lethargic then she may have an upset tummy and feeding her a bland diet will help settle her stomach and get her back on track. If she is eating and not lethargic then she may be stressed or scared at something or someone in the house that has been different. It is so hard to say for sure what may be going on with your baby but a droopy tail does not usually indicate a serious problem that needs to be addressed by a vet right away. I would just monitor her and help her get back to her normal self. If this persists for a few days however you may want to have your vet take a look at her to see if there is anything that he could help her with. Let me know if you need anything else.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Bully Breeder's Post: I am in Australia and I have just woken up as I can hear her lickinh her lips like she is thirsty. She has thrown up on the bed, not much but a little. Should I still wait a day? It could be just a tummy ache. She iss not as happy as usual.

Hello, I would try and feed a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice to see if this will help settle her stomach. Since she is licking her lips so much I would say that she does have an upset tummy as this is one of the signs that the tummy is bothering her. Try the bland diet and see if she can keep it down and if it helps settle things inside. You can also try and give a Pepcid or Tagamet to see if that will help settle the stomach as well. If it does not help then you should probably see your vet for further assistance. Here is a link to information on Pepcid.