Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery

toy poodle: to my sister but, didnt give his papers with him

on september 25th my sister gave a toy poodle to my child for her birthday. the poodles previous owners drove trucks across country and gave the dog to my sister but, didnt give his papers with him. i recieved a call from that owner and she wants her dog back. she went to the county attorneys office in our county with papers and i was told that if i didn't give the dog back that i would be arrested and the dog would be taken from my home. my children love this dog. what can i do? when my sister gave me the dog she told me he had been abused by his first owners. we live in eastern ky were there are felony animal cruelty provisions.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 8 years ago.
Were any "bill of sale" type papers signed when the dog was given away? ANything that legally transfered ownership?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
no, there is not. there was a verbal agreement made that the owner would send papers but, she did not do so.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 8 years ago.
If there's only a verbal agreement, then it's your word against theirs, from my limited legal knowledge... If they have a paper saying that she's their dog, and you don't have a paper that says they sold or gave her to you, I think in the eyes of the law the dog will belong to these other people.