Dr. Marie
Dr. Marie, Veterinarian
Experience:  Compassionate licensed veterinarian with >20 years experience with cats, dogs and pocket pets
6877700

My older dog seems to have a runny nose and has been ...

My older dog seems to have a runny nose and has been breathing heavily through her mouth? Is there anything I can do to help her?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Marie replied 9 years ago.

Hi there. There are a few things that can cause a runny nose in a dog. If you are seeing any discharge that is yellow or green in colour then it is highly possible that your dog has a respiratory tract infection. If this is the case then she will need antibiotics prescribed by your veterinarian.

If it is just a clear discharge it is possible it is just a virus similar to us getting a cold (but of course, not contagious to or from humans). If this is the case, then most dogs recover on their own within a few days but some can progress onto a bacterial infection and need veterinary care.

If your dog is still bright and eating well then it is probably best to just keep an eye on her.

You can also try putting your dog in the bathroom next to a steamy shower for a few minutes. The steam from the shower may help her clogged nose.

If the symptoms persist or if she doesn't want to eat then a vet visit is probably in order.

I hope this information helps! If you have more questions, just hit reply. Or if my answer has been sufficient, please hit accept. Thanks!
Dr. Marie