Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

My dog has her vulva hanging outside her and it is large ...

My dog has her vulva hanging outside her and it is large with red spots... I know she is in heat but does this need a vet visit?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 8 years ago.
Hi Rustyjacob,

It sounds like your dog may have vaginal hyperplasia or uterine prolapse. During certain phases in a dog’s heat cycle, vaginal tissue may swell and protrude through the vulva and look like a tongue shaped object.   This is seen most often in young intact female dogs. The breeds most commonly affected include the Labrador retriever, Chesapeake Bay retriever, boxer, English bulldog, mastiff, German shepherd, St. Bernard, Airedale, springer spaniel, walker hound and Weimaraner.

Symptoms are a protrusion of a round tissue mass from the vulva, Licking of the vulva, painful urination and not allowing breeding. If your dog can still urinate, it is not generally an emergency, but your dog should see the vet as soon as possible. If your dog can not urinate, then it needs to see the Vet immediately. You can read about this here:

You will want to keep this moist to prevent damage to the tissue. I hope you find this information helpful.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Jane Lefler's Post: How Cna I keep it moist? Is there something other than water? It also has red marks on it and seems to be broken blood vessels. It doesnt look like a tongue it looks almost like testicals but it has a membrane sack holding it together. It is really protruded over the past couple of days and I am about to take her on a 15 hour trip... Is this a good idea or do I need to make other plans? And if she is urinating fine how soon do I need to get her in to see a vet?

You can use some vasoline or neosporin on it to keep it moist. I would not travel with her until you saw your vet and I would try and do that tommorrow. I would not leave her with anyone either until she is seen.