Joni
Joni, Certified Vet Tech-Canine Specialty
Experience:  20+ years as dog specialist at vet clinic (all aspects)- raise Great Danes

our dog ate a rabbit in the backyard yesterday and is now ...

Customer Question

our dog ate a rabbit in the backyard yesterday and is now sick, lethargic, vomitng some bile and grass, not eating or drinking, the vet is closed and we are wondering if this sounds like a poison/toxin or a bowel obstruction. (I am an M.D.)
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joni replied 6 years ago.
Was it a wild rabbit? How soon after she ate it did she get sick? Was she totally normal before consuming this rabbit? Any blood in the vomit? Any diarrhea? Fever (you will need to actually take her temp rectally to determine this). How old is she- you say less than 1 year.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Joni's Post: There are wild rabbits that live in our yard, but we live in the suburbs so I don't think that rabies is an issue. She has vomited a few times over the past 3 or 4 days with some grass in it.. She ate the rabbit on Saturday and was behaving normally until then.. my son's german shepard ate some of the rabbit and seems fine. Definatly no blood in vomit but smelled and looked like bile today. Only vomited once today. Don't think she is having diarrhea, and she is 10 months old, weighs about 55 lbs. Will work on rectal temp for you... gotta get husband to do that!!
Expert:  Joni replied 6 years ago.
OK- so she was actually vomiting before she ate the rabbit? You say she has been vomiting for 3-4 days and ate the rabbit Sat. (day before yesterday)- correct? If so, then the rabbit most likely has nothing to do with it. Normal temp. for a resting dog is 101-102. So let's see what her's is and we'll go from there. Has her diet changed at all? Does she eat any table scraps or bones? Change in dog food recently or even opened a new bag?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Joni's Post: temp is 101.8.. although she has been vomiting some, the change in her behavior has just been today. very lethargic, and she was eating well before today even though she had been vomiting a little bit. No change in her diet other than the rabbit. My concern about the rabbit was that she ate it whole and my husband pulled a leg and the head out of her mouth. She has had no table scraps or bones, no change in dog food, new bag was about a week ago..
Expert:  Joni replied 6 years ago.
Her temp is normal so that is good. I think the fact that she was eating grass and vomiting before the rabbit incident is significant of something starting before the rabbit. The rabbit may just have irritated her stomach more than it already was. What i would recommend is giving her water tonight but give it in small quantities- often- so she hopefully will not vomit and get dehydrated. She has a few things on her side- her size for one- it will take a fair amount of vomiting before she gets dehydrated. Dogs tend to vomit when then over load with water or food if they are feeling bad- thus the small quantities but often. You can even give some Pedialyte- limited amounts also. Then tomorrow morning start her on a very small amount of boiled chicken and rice or boiled hamburger and rice (no ham or turkey)- no salt. Just about 1/4 of a cup with a little water. If that stays down then give her a little more in a few hours.Keep her on this bland diet for a few days as long as she is not vomiting or having diarrhea. If she starts to feel better then gradually add her normal dog food to it and just chalk it up as a virus. If it gets worse or if she starts with diarrhea then a vet exam is needed. If anything gets blood then a vet exam is needed ASAP. Do you know how to tell if a dog is dehydrated?
Experience: 20+ years as dog specialist at vet clinic (all aspects)- raise Great Danes
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Joni's Post: No I don't, that was one of my concerns, please tell me what to look for.. my husband will take her to the vet on Wed morning unless she is much better.
I really appreciate the advice, I just want to make sure we do the right things till Wed morning and that I know if we need to go to the vet ER before then. Thanks
Expert:  Joni replied 6 years ago.
OK It is easy. You simply pinch up some skin over the shoulder area. If she is hydrated it will snap back to her body. If she is dehydrated it will stay stuck up like a tent. I believe you mentioned someone there is a MD. Do you have access to lactated ringers and an admin set if needed? It is very simple to give fluids sub-Q if needed. Let me know if you need this info.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am the doctor but really don't have access to an IV set up or fluids.. You've been really helpful, thank you so much. It's so nice to have someone on Christmas eve to answer questions like this. We feel better just being able to have asked you these questions. Have a great Christmas, we will keep a close eye on her, too bad no turkey, we will have alot of that around tomorrow. Have a great Christmas, thanks again.
Expert:  Joni replied 6 years ago.
Glad to be of help. You have a wonderful Christmas too and drop back in if you need anything else. Someone is ALWAYS here! Thank you so much for the bonus too.
Expert:  Joni replied 6 years ago.
I am so glad GiGi is feeling so much better today! Merry Christmas but still no turkey or ham for her- (sigh)- you want her to stay feeling well.