Bully Breeder
Bully Breeder, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  10 years breeding, 6 years in Veterinary medicine, Lifetime of Dog ownership

i am worried my dog is shaking and holding up his paw but ...

i am worried my dog is shaking and holding up his paw but there is nothing in it and no marks...
Category: Dog
Expert:  Bully Breeder replied 6 years ago.
Did the vets do any x-rays or palpate the leg and paw? What was he doing prior to this (playing, jumping etc.)? Did they give him any thing at the vet (medication or pain pills)?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks for such a quick reply. no, he actually was just sitting on the sofa. the vet did xrays and moved the foot and it showed nothing a week ago but tonight when i touched it he yelped and pulled it away. i am thinking he might have done something to it since then...i am really worried.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Bully Breeder's Post: all that stuff was done but nothing showed up at the vet. allergy meds but i do not think that is what it is...
Hello, I can understand your worry and concern. The shaking is more than likely due to the fact that he is in pain and discomfort. He may have very well sprained or even jammed a toe or toe nail and that is why he is in pain. I would try and get a look at the foot if you can and inspect the toes and toe nails as I think this may be where your problem lies. If there is a toe nail that is swollen at the base or even ripped then this is your issue. I would try and do warm compresses with eh foot to try and relieve some of the pain and discomfort. You can also give a baby aspirin to him as a pain buffer. This should only be given for a few days as they do not metabolize it as well as people do. The does is 5mg per pound of body weight every 12 hours. This should help with the discomfort. Some people even find soaking the foot in Epsom salt to beneficial but some dogs do not tolerate it. Hopefully it is just a pulled muscle or jam of a toe and it will recover with confinement and warm compresses and time. If it is no better after the holidays I would have your vet take a look at it and make sure there is nothing between the toes or a cracked toe nail that may be causing the issues. Even the slightest or chip in a toe nail can really hurt the little ones. I hope this will help you and I hope your baby will feel better soon, but let me know if you need anything else.
Bully Breeder, Veterinary Assistant
Experience: 10 years breeding, 6 years in Veterinary medicine, Lifetime of Dog ownership