Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian

Why is my dog not digesting her food Whole pieces and ...

Why is my dog not digesting her food? Whole pieces and lots of wateryness is also being thrown-up. I think she is about 13-years old (human time), and I know she is old, is there something wrong with her?
How many times has she vomited?
When was her last meal?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr. K's Post: First time today, I just saw her throw-up about 30 mins ago. She hasn't been eating her hard dog food, so we gave her canned food 45 mins ago. She walks around really slowly, and she is trying to eat her soft food again, and drank a little water. For the last few nights it has been really cold outside so we have had her indoors. The family worries that she is gotten too old, and my children are upset that there is something wrong with her now.
Dogs can certainly vomit if their food is changed suddenly. So, this vomiting episode may be due solely to the canned food that she was given. If she has repeated bouts of vomiting, then you should consider taking her into an emergency clinic this evening.
If she has been losing her appetite and moving around more slowly lately, she may be suffering from an underlying disease that is common to old age like kidney disease or liver disease. She may also have some arthritis. I recommend that you take her into the veterinarian for an evaluation. The doctor can run some blood and urine laboratory tests to see if she is showing any signs of these diseases. If it is just arthritis, there are many safe and effective medications to control the pain of this disease process. Many clients report that their dogs are "like new" when they start taking these medications. So, please do not give hope yet!
I hope that this information is of help to you, and I wish you the best of luck with your dog. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.