Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

What is the mushy lump on my dogs belly

Customer Question

There is a soft lumpy mass on my dog''s stomach. It doesn''t seem to hurt her, but it protrudes from the skin, not from underneath the skin.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 8 years ago.
Hi Vicrob,

If this lump is in the center of the belly, you might be looking at an umbilica hernia. You can usually press on these and they well seem to go away and come back as soon as pressure is removed, but not always.

A lump or growth is hard to diagnose even with an office visit, over the internet it is even harder as we can not even see the growth. A lump may indicate cancer, but many such growths are harmless. Many lumps are not painful or bothersome. It may be a fatty tissue deposit called Lipomas or a wart or a hematoma, but to be positive your vet will need to test the lump to be sure.

Any lump found on your animal should be tested to determine if it is a cancerous or benign lump. Your vet will want to perform a fine-needle aspiration or other appropriate test. It is performed quickly and allows some of the cells of the lump to be evaluated by the veterinary pathologist. This test will allow the vet to determine the nature of the lump and take the necessary steps to remove it. Some vets will leave it alone if it is not serious. If it is an abscess, he may just drain it and prescribe antibiotics. Lumps that are solid feeling, feel attached and fast growing should be checked as soon as possible as these are the ones that are more likely to be serious.

Here are a few sites for additional information and pictures to allow you to get an idea based on the physical characteristics..
Picture of Lipoma
Picture of Hemangiosarcoma
Picture of a mast cell tumor (mast tumor site)
Information on Canine Oral Papilloma virus apillomas.html

I hope you find this information helpful.

You may be seeing the start of on Canine Oral Papilloma. It is a viral wart. Dogs get them on their lips and chins normally but they can be found between the toes as well. It usually clears up on its own in a few weeks. You can read more about this here:

However, if your dog is older, you may be seeing a cutaneous papillomas (single). These are solitary and virtually identical to multiple warts forming on the oral membranes. On the following page they suggest that crushing the wart may help trigger the immune system to clear them faster.