Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian
7189224

my pomeranian has congestive heart failure with ...

my pomeranian has congestive heart failure with trouble breathing, can i give him CoQ10 or other supplements to bring him back to good health
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. K replied 9 years ago.
When was your dog diagnosed with this?
How old is he?
Did they say it was right-sided or left-sided congestive heart failure?
Is he on medication for the disease?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dr. K's Post: diagnosed sept 2006, born feb.95, he has had an ultrasound and diagnosed with heart failure currently on three types of meds including diuretic. currently i am not at home to verify correct names of all meds. his blood is pooling he has valve failure. lately he has been fainting after just walking up the stairs, or walking outside i know he is dying but i was wondering if at all this condition is reversable with supplements along with meds,
Expert:  Dr. K replied 9 years ago.
Mitral-valve insufficiency is the most common type of abnormality that causes left-sided heart failure. The treatment usually involves a combination of drugs, the most likely being furosemide (the diuretic) and enalapril (an ACE-inhibitor). Monitoring of the heart with echocardiograms every 4-6 months and adjustment of medication as necessary is the hallmark of treatment.
Co-Enzyme Q10 has been used in veterinary medicine for dogs with many different ailments. There is not a true proven benefit of this drug, but many doctors feel that it can be helpful, and it certainly doesn't hurt. I don't see any reason not to use it, however, I would make sure that you discuss this with your veterinarian before starting any new medications for your dog.
I hope that this information has been of help to you, and I wish you and your dog the best of luck. Please know that even after you click on the green "accept" button, I will still be availalble to answer any follow-up questions that you may have concerning this matter.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dr. K's Post: the meds you have mentioned are what he is taking along with a new one that just recently came on the market. one more question though besides CoQ-10 how about fish oil caplets or supplements and i will discuss this with my vet. thank you.
Expert:  Dr. K replied 9 years ago.
Fish oil caplets are more of a human supplement as the omegas are supposed to help with coronary artery disease. Since dogs don't really get coronary artery disease, I don't think that these will be of much help to him.
I am glad that I could be of help to you. Please don't forget to click on the "accept" button, so that I can receive compensation for my work.