Gina
Gina, Breeder and Health Care Specialist
Experience:  20+ years experience in animal health care. Hobby breeder of Olde English Mastiffs and owned by an English Bulldog.
673497

My 3 yr old Sheltie is pregnant. How many puppies do ...

My 3 yr old Sheltie is pregnant. How many puppies do Shelties tend to have?

HiCustomer

The average litter size for a Sheltie is 4-6 pups. Once she is about 55 days into her pregnancy, you can (and should) have your vet do a quick x-ray of your girl so you can know about how many to expect. This makes delivery so much easier on YOU :) About a week before her due date, start taking her temperature 2x per day...when it drops below 99 degrees, whelping should begin within 24 hours :) Normal temp is 100-102.5 Good luck to you and your girl and the happiest of holidays to you :)

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Relist:
My Sheltie ended her heat cycle on 10/30/07. How would I know when she became pregnant? She was in heat about 3 weeks.
She would likely have been bred around the 17th of October give or take a few days in either direction. The pregnancy lasts 58-63 days. So go ahead and give your vet a call today to set up the appointment to have an x-ray done. This will also confirm the pregnancy :) Good luck and hope this helps you further :)
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Gina's Post: Thank you so much Gina!! You were very helpful!!

You are so very welcome and do let me know when she has her pups :) Always an exciting time :) Here is one more link that might help you so put it in your favorites. :)

Click here: The "Heat" Cycle