Dr. Vicky Lamb
Dr. Vicky Lamb, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 yrs small animal veterinarian

Dog: shivers..Wont eat on and off, but is not losing weight...crate

Dog continually shivers and exhibits pain (yelps) when moved abruptly, but not when you pick him up. Won't eat on and off, but is not losing weight. prefers to isolate himself in crate or bed. Will stay in bed for whole day. Eyes look good. Symptoms seem to come and go. Four year old miniature dacshund.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Vicky Lamb replied 8 years ago.

Hi there,

I would be suspicious that your dachshund has a disc problem in his back or neck. The symptoms he is showing now are classic for that problem. Of course, worse case scenario for intervertebral disc disease is paralysis, but many dogs just have pain on moving and no loss of function. The problem does not usually resolve unless medications are used, such as prednisone or non-steroidal anti-inflammatories. Until then, your dog may be in pain and lethargic.

Here is an article about this condition:

and another:

You should get him to your vet on monday. In the mean time, you could give him one baby aspirin per 15 lbs (break in half if you need to), and that may help him feel a little better today. Give it with food.

Let me know if you have more questions!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Wouldn't i see some discomfort in his walking?
No, not necessarily. Some dogs will walk hunched over, or move slowly, or have some pain one or more legs. Sometimes, they just have pain when they move. Each dog is different. Of course, I cannot say with 100% certainty that this is what your dog has, as I have not examined him! However, being that he is a dachshund that yelps when he moves, then I would have to suspect disc disease until proven otherwise....