Bully Breeder
Bully Breeder, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  10 years breeding, 6 years in Veterinary medicine, Lifetime of Dog ownership
3569931

My dog has tiny red worms in her stool. I have never seen ...

My dog has tiny red worms in her stool. I have never seen this before, and do not know what this is about. She is a Pek. She has been drinking flood water if that is of any help
Category: Dog
Expert:  Bully Breeder replied 9 years ago.
Hello, do you see the worms immediately after she uses the bathroom or has the stool been sitting in the yard for a little while? How small are the worms? Are they round and skinny or are the fat and short? How many have you seen? How long has this been happening?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Immediately, was in her stool in the house this morning. They are very tiny, short, skinny, There was hundreds of them in the stool as well as dozens that crawled out onto the floor.

Hello, I would suggest taking a stool sample into your vet right away if the numbers were that intense. The worms themselves may not have been red but could be turning red due to the loss of blood from your baby. I am not familiar with any worms that are red in color when they come out in your dogs stool. Most worms that are visible to the naked eye in your dogs stool are white in color. You could be seeing segments of a tape worm in the stool that turned red due to the amount of blood that may be getting passed with the stool. I would suggest having a stool sample taken to your vet and have them test so that they can prescribe the most effective deworming medication to get your baby healthy again. The worms could be at this point making your dog anemic if there are in that type of concentration in the stool. Getting him wormed and looked at as soon as possible will be in your best interest for you and your baby. Please let me know if you need anything else. Here is a link as well to information on the common parasites in dogs.

http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/worms.html