NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

My boxer had gum surgery two month ago. Few days ago gums ...

Customer Question

My boxer had gum surgery two month ago. Few days ago gums started bleeding. He is on soft food since yesterday. One of his ears is inflamed inside (his ears are not cropped). Any connection? What should be done
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 8 years ago.
If his gums are bleeding it might be due to the surgery or it could be due to a problem with his clotting ability.
If he might have gotten into any rodent poison that might be it. Or an autoimmune disease could also cause this.
The ear issue might be related or might not be - could be an allergy to a food item, might be related to the gum issue as mouth, nose, ears are all somewhat interconnected.
I'd get him in to see a vet to find out what is going on with him.
If your dog might have gotten into anything toxic, appears dehydrated (see if a pinch of skin over the shoulder blade stays stuck in a tent form or flows back down normally when released), has gums or tongue that look white, blue, gray or yellow tinted where they are normally pink, has a slow color refill if you press on a pink area of gum or tongue, has bruising along the abdomen, or blood in urine or stool as well as the gum bleeding, or is becoming lethargic and non responsive to you then I'd get the dog in to see an emergency vet if you can.
Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Dear XXXXX,

I went to sleep yesterday and only this morning read your reply. I am taking him to the vet in a few minutes. The inside lips are rather pale and the bleeding is worth.

I will contact you later.

Thank you,
Expert:  NancyH replied 8 years ago.
I hope all goes well with him!
Please let me know.
Expert:  NancyH replied 8 years ago.
I hope he recovers for you! thank you for the update.
All my good thoughts for his recovery!