Olivia, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  10 yr rescuer, 5 years experience in busy clinic, assisted in diverse surgeries, has many pets.

My dog hurt his leg playing outside...hes limping ...

My dog hurt his leg playing outside...he's limping on it when he has to use it. He keeps trying to lay down and rest, but then he gets up every few minutes to find somewhere else to lay. He is drooling like crazy. He seems to be settling down, but the drooling won't stop.

How long ago did the limping happen? Did he start drooling while he was playing or after the limping?

How old is your dog? What breed?

Is he eating at all? Drinking?

Does he have very foul breath?

Is he limping on one back leg?

Thanks the additional information would be very useful.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
He started limping about an hour and a half ago. My mom let him into the house and at first he wouldn't stop whining until I picked him and held him like a baby. That's when I noticed drool was just dripping from his mouth. He is a little over a year and a half old and is a cockapoo. At this point he still seems uninterested in eating or drinking anything. He's limping on his left back leg. He doesn't seem to have any worse breath than normal. And he's hardly drooling at all at the moment. Now he's acting somewhat lethargic...
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Now he just drank about a cup of water straight, but still doesn't want to eat anything.
From the information you've given me, I think your pup hurt himself outside. Usually when an animal is in pain, they become lethargic, have loss of appetite. The drooling happens when the dog becomes nervous or scared. Check over your dog's leg. Look carefully at the toes and in between them. Be gentle as he may be very sensitive to it. Anything can happen to a dog when he's outside, believe it or not it's very common for people to tease a fenced dog. Some will even throw things at them. I don't know if this happened, but something certainly did spook your boy. Try to see if there's any swelling or cuts on the leg or paw. If you do, you can soak the foot in epsom salt and warm water, or flush with hydrogen peroxide. If the leg is swollen, you can put some ice ( put it in a plastic bag or ziploc bag and warp a small towel around it) on the leg to help the swelling.

For now you need to monitor him to see if he vomits or has any convulsions. Keep your dog comfortable by letting him sleep on something with very good cushioning and keep him warm. He probably won't have much of an appetite right now, but try giving him some boiled chicken and rice (strain the oil and make it soft to eat, serve it warm not hot) a little later. Give him a little bit at a time. Also keep him calm and inactive so he can rest his leg.
Serious causes of limping will cause the dog to continue limping, getting no better. If by tomorrow your dog is not walking well and still showing signs of pain, you should have him see the vet. This is because it means your what's bothering your dog is more serious, and not just a pull on the muscle or a twist.

Do not let your dog go without eating for more than 24-48 hours.

I hope this information was helpful to you and I really hope your boy feels better. Please let me know if you have any further questions, I'll be happy to help.

Best Wishes,