Cher
Cher, Dog Caregiver--Extensive Experience
Experience:  Extensive Experience Caring for Canines; Specializing in behavior and health concerns.
1470369

my little dog has a pussy eye. Is there something I can do ...

my little dog has a pussy eye. Is there something I can do at home to help reduce the eye puss or make her feel better. She also has a long cut around her eye that she must have cut by rubbing her eye.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Cher replied 9 years ago.

Unfortunately, your dog will ultimately have to have her eye evaluated by the vet, and treated with antibiotic drops/ointment, but for the moment you can do several things at home.

Apply a cool, damp teabag to the closed eye. This will help draw out infection; also, wipe the discharge away with a soft damp cloth or tissue.

If she scratched the area around her eye because it's bothering her, clean it with a cotton ball soaked in diluted hydrogen peroxide and squeezed out (don't get any in the eye), pat dry gently, then apply a thin film of Neosporin (NOT with pain plus). Again, the vet will have to assess the scratch and determine if she needs oral antibiotics or a prescription topical cream to help it heal and prevent infection.

I hope your little dog is feeling better very soon!

Cher
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
My husband has left for deployment of 6 months. Can this be caused by stress (her scratching her eye) that my husband is has not been home for a few weeks?
Expert:  Cher replied 9 years ago.
Hi again,

It's possible that stress could have caused her to rub her eye excessively, causing the scratch you see on the outside, but the pus discharge you see coming from the inside of her eye would not be caused by stress. She might have scratched her eye inside and caused a corneal abrasion and/or infection, but once you see pus, she really needs an antibiotic eye ointment to clear up the infection. Her cornea should also be checked with a special light the vet has, to see if it's scratched or abraded, and then he'll know how best to proceed.

If you feel your dog is stressed, due to your husband leaving, try a dog appeasing pheromone called Comfort Zone for Dogs with DAP. This is available in major pet supply stores and online. It's a plug-in diffuser which resembles a plug-in air freshener, but has no scent to humans.

Cher