Theresa
Theresa, A Voice for Your Pet
Experience:  19+ years experience in small animal medicine

my eight year old schnauzer is peeing all over the house ...

Customer Question

my eight year old schnauzer is peeing all over the house after we got a new schnauzer puppy. the puppy is trained and the older one has always been trained but he won't stop peeing now
Category: Dog
Expert:  Theresa replied 6 years ago.

Does he seem to drink a lot?

Is your older schnauzer neutered?

Theresa

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Theresa's Post: i have not noticed that he is drinking more than usual, he does pee outside everytime i take them out as well as peeing inside. the puppy is 7 months and does not pee inside. the older one is sneaky peeing i have not been able to catch him in the act for months i know its him and not the puppy cause the puppy squats and the pee i am finding is down things like the chair leg the side of the couch the shower curtain things you would raise your leg on. yes he is nuetered.
Expert:  Theresa replied 6 years ago.

Okay. This may be coincidental. I suggest taking the older guy in for a urinalysis. If the urine shows abnormalities like a low specific gravity, protein in the urine, blood, bacteria or glucose then you may actually have a physical issue going on. Schnauzers very commonly get stones in their bladder and infections are right up on the list as well. Another common problem seen in older Schnauzers is Cushing's disease which can also cause an increase in thirst and urination. If nothing is seen through the urine then I would have to recommend bloodwork. Before punishing him for having accidents I think given his age we need to first rule out any of the above physical issues.

Theresa

Theresa, A Voice for Your Pet
Experience: 19+ years experience in small animal medicine
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Theresa's Post: I should mention that I notice he seems to have a hardness to his body twords the back legs up around his back we just thought it was age I will make a vet appointment right away we never punish him for peeing we love him too much and i just know there had to be more to it. any advice if urine and blood all check out I do not want to ask my vet he is kinda old school but has been roys doctor for eight years
Expert:  Theresa replied 6 years ago.

If urine and bloodwork all check out then you are most likely looking at a behavioral issue. If this is the case then you will have to start by retraining him. In his case I would crate train him. It would be no different then if he were a puppy learning from square one. Take him out when he gets up, take him out after he eats, take him out after he plays and stay on top of him. Do not let him out of your sight for a minute. If you cannot be with him then you will need to put him back in his crate.

Do ask your vet about the possibility of bladder stones because this may or may not show up in the urine.

Theresa

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you teresa