Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

What do I do if my pregnant dog has fleas

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 8 years ago.
Hi Adinovo,

Your first step will be getting your dog on advantage to get the fleas off of your dog. If that is not an option, washing your dog in dawn dishwashing liquid, leaving the lather on for 15 minutes before rinsing will kill the fleas. The second step will be ridding the environment of them.

There are quite a few house sprays available to control fleas in the house. I've used Flea Stop but any that include a growth inhibitor should do the job pretty well. Cutting a piece from a flea collar and adding it to your vacuum bag will kill any fleas that you vacuum up and prevent them from escaping back into the house. Vaccum every day for at least a month to get all the fleas and eggs out of the carpets.

You can also treat the yard if you wish with Diatomaceous earth, which helps kill them in the yard without poisons. This can also be used in carpets as well. You can read more about that here.

Fleas do not like a wet environment so frequent watering of the lawn can also make it inhospitable to fleas as well.

Advantage is ok for pregnant and nursing dogs.

I hope this information is helpful to you.