Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

I think my chihuahua has a cold. What are the symptoms of ...

I think my chihuahua has a cold. What are the symptoms of this and what can i do about it?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 8 years ago.

Hi Ilove my Chi,

Dogs do not get colds , can you tell me what you are seeing?

How old is your dog?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Sally Grott's Post: she is 1 year and 2 mos. old. for the past couple of hours she has been shivering on and off and very lathargic. I also think she is running fever b/c her nose is hot and dry.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for that information. A hot dry nose does not indicate fever. YOu should take the temperature rectally for accuracy. Normal for dogs is 100.5 to 102.5. A fever may indicate an infection

Check the dogs gums, if they are white , pale , blue or gray this is an emergency and you need to seek vet care tonight.

Sometimes dogs get viruses that resolve on their own in a day. IF the dog is eating and drinking, has no diarrhea or vomiting, then it may be an infection. Small breeds are prone to bladder stones and urinary tract infections so if there is an increase in water intake or out put then you may be looking at either one of these.

Take the temperature and keep her warm tonight. If there is still a concern bring her to the vet in the morning. Here is a site that tells you what is normal for dogs, pulse, heart rate, gums color etc. If there is anything on this list that is troublesome then seek vet care.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What if i do not have a thermometer to take her temp?
Expert:  Sally G. replied 8 years ago.
There is no way to determine the temp without a thermometer. Keep her warm if she is still shivering.