Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

My dog has a blue film over both eyes and cant see is ...

My dog has a blue film over both eyes and can't see is this an eye infection?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 8 years ago.
Hi Boxer,

This is usually referred to as a cloudiness to the eyes. Your dog may have glaucoma or Anterior Uveitis or a corneal ulcer or cataracts. Symptoms of Glaucoma include conjucntivits (red eye), discharge from the eye, light sensativity, possible swollen eye. As the condition worsens and pressure increases, the pupil can dilate and the cornea becomes cloudy. It is important to diagnose this early to save the dog’s sight in the eye. Depending upon the underlying cause for the Glaucoma, the other eye could also be at danger as well. Treatment depends upon identifying the underlying cause for the increased pressure in the eye. You can read more about this here;

Symptoms of Anterior Uveitis are similar and include redness, tearing, squinting in bright light, small or uneven pupil, cloudy appearance to the eye and a unevenly colored iris. Treatment for this condition may be topical or oral medication depending on the cause. You can read more about this here:

A corneal ulcer may also be to blame and may be caused by injury, eyelashes scratching the eye and has similar symptoms to those of glaucoma and anterior uveitis. The third eyelid frequently covers the eye so sometimes the eye is not able to be seen. You can read about this here:

You can read up on Cataracts here:

The following site goes over reasons for cloudiness of the eye.

As you have seen, this could be an emergency situation depending on the severity of the condition. However, some cloudiness as a dog ages is normal and called nuclear sclerosis. I would have my dog seen as soon as possible to avoid further damage to the eye.

I hope this information is helpful to you.