Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

What is the oral dosage of Valium for dogs

Customer Question

I want to add a little info to my question. We are going to take my Pomeranian Mix ( 14 lbs.) on to the airplane and the Vet gave us Acepromazine 10 mg tabs to give to him. We tried them out, giving him one tab the first night, and it didn't even phase him, the second night we gave him two tablets and it took about 6 hours before it hit him and then he just got a little drowsy but when we put him in his carrier he still freaked out and tried to get out. I called the Vet again today and he gave us Valium 2 mg tablets and said to give him one tablet...well it didn't even phase him at all!! Along with the max dose of Valium for a dog, is there anything else out there that might be stronger that i can suggest the Vet use?! Thanks.

Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 8 years ago.

The dosage for valium (Diazepam) is .25mg to 1mg per pound every 6 hours. So I can imagine that a 14 pound dog might not have much of a reaction to a 2mg tablet. You can read about dosage information, precautions and usage here:

Acepromazine is what is usually recommended and the oral dosage is 0.5 to 1.5 mg per pound. you can read about this here:

Other drugs might be Midazolam, Oxazepam, or Alprazolam. These are all similar to valium and acepromazine. Remember that no medication should be given to your dog without consulting your vet. Your vet may have a reason why he is using smaller dosages, so please check with your vet before increasing dosage. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for replying. I just had one more question. The link to the info on Valium where it states the dosage, it says that is for intravenous. I know that with some meds the dosage is different for different routes given. Is that the case with Valium or is it the same dosage given both routes?

The dosage is .25 - 1mg per pound for oral as well. It is increased if administered rectally as indicated on the site.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

ok, thank you!!