Dr. Debbie
Dr. Debbie, Veterinarian
Experience:  Full time practicing companion animal veterinarian.
4801514

do hamsters like affection do they like when you pet ...

Customer Question

do hamsters like affection? do they like when you pet and give them attention or do they prefer to be left alone?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Debbie replied 9 years ago.

Do you already have a hamster?

If so, which breed did you get?

They are different according to their breed, so maybe I can help if you can give me a little more info.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Debbie's Post: YES I ALREADY HAVE A FEMALE HAMSTER. I FORGET THE NAME OF HER BREED, BUT IT STARTS WITH AN S. I THINK ITS LIKE SIBERRAN. SHE IS ORANGEISH WITH SHORT HAIR AND PINK HANDS AND FEET. SHE IS PRETTY CALM AND DOESNT BITE, BUT I WAS WONDERING IF SHE ENJOYS BEING HELD. LIKE IF SHE GETS LONELY IF YOU DONT? SHE DOESNT FALL ASLEEP ON YOU LIKE CATS OR DOGS THOUGH. THE OTHER DAY I ALSO HEARD HER SQUEEL, AND SHE WAS JUST LOOKING AT ME. SHE DID IT ABOUT 3 TIMES. SHE WAS FINE NOT HURT. WHAT COULD THAT MEAN. IS SHE HAPPY OR DO THEY SQUEEL WHEN THEY ARE MAD ONLY? THANK YOU A BUNCH!!!!!!!

It's important to get your hamster used to being handled first and then they enjoy being held. Start by feeding your hamster treats; once she's comfortable accepting treats from your hand, you can gently and securely pick her up. Hold her for a short time at first, and then gradually increase your time. They can become very sociable with their human if gently introduced to handling. It takes some time and patience for this to come along.

You probably have either a Syrian or Siberian hamster. The vocalizations are their communication. I usually get a squeal or two when I trim nails for them. It can be a range of emotion associated with them though, not always fright. You'll learn her as your bond develops.