ChristineLVT
ChristineLVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Licensed veterinary technician (B.S. Mercy College), 10 yrs in animal medicine and training
4329681

My dog is vomiting in the middle of the night

No Comment Added

If only vomiting in the middle of the night, this is often due to acid reflux. In order to prevent this, 2 things can be tried, either simultaneous (best) or one or the other.

Pepcid can be given before bed at a dose of 0.25mg per pound of body weight. Do not repeat more than once every 12 hours, and you really shouldn't need it more than just before bed.

The other thing which should help immensely is splitting feedings into 3 times a day, with the last meal given immediately before bedtime, to keep his stomach fuller. The meal next morning shouldn't then be on a completely empty stomach. Sometimes a higher protein diet can help with this as well.

Hope your dog is better soon, and let me know if I can help further.

Christine

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to ChristineLVT's Post: Hi Christine - I should have mentioned that I have been giving her an acid reducer before bed and always a couple of cookies :-) There was a time when I did that every night but stopped for a very long time. As I said, this isn't the first time she's had this problem. Could it be a seasonal thing? Would there be un-digested food in the vomit if it was an acid reflux problem?
Yes, an acidic problem in the stomach can result in undigested food. A food allergy is another possibility, but if not changing foods to a higher quality protein or able to speak to your vet at this time for a true diagnosis, I would go with pepcid instead of what you are trying and a diet change and if that doesn't help, start thinking an allergy or something more serious like megaesophagus.