Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

I think my dog may have eaten some glass. A jar of salsa ...

Customer Question

I think my dog may have eaten some glass. A jar of salsa broke and my son came to get me. By the time I got there, he was eating the salsa from the floor, mixed in with glass. What do I do? I went on line. I fed him some bread. He is a 6 yr old Golden Retriever.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 8 years ago.

The bread may help catch the glass and move it through the intestines. Depending on how large the piece of glass was you will need to watch for an obstruction of the bowel and any damage the glass may cause in the intestines. Watch for bleeding, pale or white gums. If you see this bring the dog in immediately. An obstruction would show sudden lack of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy. This would require an operation.

Obstruction (foreign body)