ChristineLVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Licensed veterinary technician (B.S. Mercy College), 10 yrs in animal medicine and training

Dog Ate Hand Lotion -- toxic

My dog ate about 2 TBL of the hand lotion (ingredients below). The 2tbl was probably about 1 TBL of lotion, plus 1 TBL of olive oil, so the concentration of lotion was not terribly high. Wondering if there's anything toxic in it that I should worry about at such a low dose.

cetyl alcohol
ethylhexyl palmitate
carthamus tinctorius (safflower) seed oil
sorbitan sterate
anthemis nobilis flower extract
ginger root extract
panax ginseng root extract
echinacea extract
symphytum officinale extract
cymbopogon schoenanthus extract
sage extract
jojoba seed oil
orange oil
grapefruit peel oil
aloe barbadensis leaf juice
vitamin C
Vitamin E
Vitamin A
diazolidinyl urea
Category: Dog
Expert:  ChristineLVT replied 8 years ago.

What does your dog weigh?

When was this ingested? Any symptoms thus far?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to ChristineLVT's Post: My dog weighs about 25 pounds, no symptoms so far, she just ate it about 15 minutes ago ... she's running around, feeling completely normal. She'd also eaten breakfast about 15 minutes before eating lotion, so her stomach was full at the time.

Given the nature of most hand lotions, anything that may be significant in making her very sick is likely in very low concentrations, except for the oils. This may cause some diarrhea but with the small amount eaten may not be severe. I would give her some white bread now to help absorb some of the oil and you may not see any diarrhea. If you do, you can always start adding some white rice to her next couple of feedings to help, or even stick with a bland diet for a couple of days of boiled chicken/white rice (1:1 ratio). The oils in the lotion are going to be lubricating the GI tract and pushing things along quicker than normal, but a bland diet or at least some white rice should help bind things up firmer again and then the normal diet can be continued thereafter. You shouldn't have to worry about toxicity, luckily.

Best wishes, let me know if I can help with anything further.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I had a hunch that was the case. Thanks much for your help, and the speedy reply!

Best wishes!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Any time!