How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Theresa Your Own Question
Theresa, A Voice for Your Pet
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 8007
Experience:  19+ years experience in small animal medicine
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Theresa is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my dog looks like it is drunk and falling

This answer was rated:

No Comment Added

How old is your dog?

When did this start?

What color are his gums?

When did he last eat?

Any increased thirst or urination?

Any head tilt?

Do his eyes move back and forth really fast?

Any recent weight loss?

Any toxin he may have gotten into like antifreeze, rat poison?

Thank you


Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Theresa's Post: 3 years old

yesterday he vomitted but was very happy playful all day even with kids chasing a ball

gums appear pink

he did not eat very much yesterday

his thirst and urination are not abnormal.

his eyes appear normal

no recent weight loss

it is a maltese shitsu dog

i am unaware of rat poison that could be in our backyard

no recent weight loss

he appears like he is drunk and shaking a little and keeps falling when he walks.

I am concerned that your boy either has gotten into a toxin, has a liver condition that has yet to be diagnosed, heart issues, or may have Addison's disease. Less serious cause is an ear infection. He really should be seen as this could be a very serious sign. Your vet will likely run bloodwork on him if nothing outward is noticed (ear infection). If you can get him into the vet tonight this would be best while he is having active symptoms.

I wish I could give you more exacts here but there is just not enough to go on. Please be sure that he had no access to alcohol or antifreeze.


Theresa and 3 other Dog Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thankyou for your assistance theresa.

we have taken him to our local vet.

it appears that he has been bitten by a 'tick'. they are common in australia.

he will need to stay probably 3 days with the vet we have been told.

I am so glad you took him in.... I hope he will be fine. Keep me posted.


Customer: replied 8 years ago.
will do. thanks theresa
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
hi theresa. you will be glad to know little TJ has recovered completely. He stayed at the vet for 3 days and was given several injections.

he seems to have recovered 100 percent from the paralysis tick.

now that he is back though he has started to sneeze a lot and it has been happening for 2 days. any idea what this could be?

Related Dog Questions