Cher
Cher, Dog Caregiver--Extensive Experience
Experience:  Extensive Experience Caring for Canines; Specializing in behavior and health concerns.
1470369

My cat just ate about 3 feet of thin nylon string from one ...

My cat just ate about 3 feet of thin nylon string from one of his toys. My vet is closed Saturday afternoon and I would like to try to avoid the emergency clininc (cha-ching). I read about mega doses of Petromalt/Laxatone and keep an eye on him. Can I do this until my vet opens Monday? And if so, what exactly constitues a "mega dose"?

Of course, the ER vet clinic would be your best course of action, but I definitely understand your apprehension, re: the cost!

The possibility of damage from ingestion of this nylon string are two fold--it can bunch up inside and cause an intestinal blockage, and/or it can cut into the the gut, simply due to it's nature, as it goes through the intestinal system.

I would consider a mega-dose of Petromalt/Laxatone, twice the usual dose recommended on the tube, given twice a day. Also, mix 1 teaspoon plain canned pumpkin (NOT pie filling) into a small amount of canned food, and the natural fiber in this might also help push it along, inside.

Watch your cat for any symptoms of intestinal distress (crying in pain, straining to defecate), constipation, blood in the stool, diarrhea (caused by the hairball remedy), vomiting, lethargy, not eating, not drinking, difficulty breathing. If you do see any of these symptoms, you WILL have to go the ER vet center to have him treated, ASAP.

If you do see the string begin to emerge, in his stool, and any is 'hanging out' of his rectum, resist the urge to pull, as you will cause internal damage.

I hope he'll be fine and the hairball remedy and pumpkin, plus his usual eating, will help him get rid of this string naturally. It would still be a good idea to have him seen by your vet on Monday, to make sure he's gotten rid of all of it. It might take a few days for him to pass this.

Cher
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thanks Cher. I will keep an eye on him. Worse thing is he went outside right after he ate it so I am not certain he did not already throw it up! Is it even possible that he already did? He is in now, for at least the next three days! I will try the pumkin too.
You're most welcome, and thanks for your accept.

Yes, if he was outside, you can't be sure if he threw it up, but you'll monitor him an see how things go. Hopefully, all will be well!

Cher