Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

Wil getting my dog neutered calm him down and make him less ...

Customer Question

Wil getting my dog neutered calm him down and make him less aggressive?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 8 years ago.

Neutering can certainly help calm a male dog down and help with aggression issues. However, it is not a magic cure all for behavioral issues. Along with neutering, I suggest that you enroll him in an obedience class at a minimum. Before you can get into classes, the following site at the bottom has links to specific basic commands which have pictures so you can see you are doing it correctly.

Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.

You will also want to keep a leash on him at all times initially to grab if he should disobey. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how well your dog does with training. Dogs like knowing what is expected of them and they love the little paper thin slices of hotdogs that I use for treats while training. Give this a try and see how it works for you.

In addition, if the situation is not improving using the techniques on the previous website, you may have to consult a professional behaviorist. You can usually find a behaviorist by asking your Vet for a recommendation or you may be able to find one using the following site.

Hope this helps.