Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues

Why does my puppy scream sometimes when I pick her up

I have a four month old pomeranian. On two separate occasions she has been very touchy. She screams out in pain when you touch her. The first time, she would even scream when she moved a certain way. Today she got her final puppy shots and she is doing it again. I am not sure if the shots are related or not. Because the first time this happened she hadn't gotten any shots.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 8 years ago.

Some puppies and even small dogs are very sensitive to being picked up. Many until comfortable will scream if for no reason, just so you will put them down. It is more fear than pain. Once your baby gets used to being picked up this should come to a halt. I would do this as an exercise every day and a couple of times a day to help desensitize her to being picked up and held. Eventually she will come to enjoy the attention. You can even reward with a small treat when she is good about it. Joan

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Jav917's Post: We have had our baby (Gidget) since August, we play and hold her often, most often with no screaming. She is usually very playful and loving, except with these two instances. Why would she just do this on occasion, one time without even touching her?
Expert:  Joan replied 8 years ago.

I have a Chiuahua that does the same thing. With some dogs it is a defense mechanism, almost to say I do not want to be bothered or I don't feel well. The shots may have put her in this mode. She may not feel well because of her Vaccines and this is her way of letting you know that she does not want to be bothered. As far as not even touching her and this happened, she may have been startled when it happened that particular time. Joan