Cher, Dog Caregiver--Extensive Experience
Experience:  Extensive Experience Caring for Canines; Specializing in behavior and health concerns.

is it possible for a 4 lbs dog to freeze to death outside

Customer Question

My dog who is a teacup chihuaua died last night. Shes an inside dog and we let her out to potty and an hour later...she was missing. We searched everywhere for her. We finally found her under the neighbors car dead. She wasnt hit by a car so her death is unknown. I was wonering if its possible she literally froze to death. The temp was no less then 59 degrees. Please help !
Category: Dog
Expert:  Cher replied 8 years ago.

I'm so sorry for your sudden loss of your little dog. I don't think she would have frozen to death if the temp. was around 59 degrees, however, because you found her under your neighbor's car, she may have ingested antifreeze or motor oil, which are both extremely toxic to dogs. These substances have an attractive smell and taste, to dogs, so they will lick it.

If you can have your vet do an autopsy to determine the cause of death, you'll know more; if it's too late for that, just know that she died quickly and did not suffer.

Again, my heartfelt condolences.