ask_me
ask_me, Obedience, breeding, showing
Experience:  Well versed in all things canine! Knowledgeable in breeding, training and showing
5181091

I found a lump on my dogs hip. I had her to the ...

I found a lump on my dogs hip. I had her to the doctor, they took a sample and said that it was just fatty material. About 2 weeks later I have found a small lump on her rip cage? Shuold I be concerned? She is a 7 year old Border Collie. Her wait is good and she gets a fair amount of exercise
Submitted: 9 years ago via Vet.com.
Category: Dog
Expert:  ask_me replied 9 years ago.

It's likely that this is a fat deposit as well. However, you may want to have your vet biopsy this lump as well, just to be safe . It's always best to have issues such as this looked into further. That said, fat deposits can commonly occur in some older dogs even if they exercise and are fed properly. I hope she's doing well. -Robyn

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply toCustomers Post: Why do they form and why would 2 form is such a short time? I was looking for a lot more detail
Expert:  ask_me replied 9 years ago.

Below are some links that may better help you to understand these. Fatty deposits are often idiopathic, meaning that they have no real known cause. They just tend to occur. Infections and hemotomas (blood filled lump) can occur do to to trauma (bumping into something etc.), breaking the skin open etc. That said, as per her age, these should be biopsied to rule out cancers. If you need more information, let me know. -Robyn

http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/lumps.html

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/skin-growth-lump-swelling-or-mass-in-dogs/page1.aspx