ask_me, Obedience, breeding, showing
Experience:  Well versed in all things canine! Knowledgeable in breeding, training and showing

My dogs butt is leaking. Most of the times its a ...

My dogs butt is leaking. Most of the times it's a clear liquid, but last yesterday it had so poo in it. Today we had her in the car and she is usually really good, but we notice a smell and she had gone in the back seat which she had never done before and it was a normal consistency. Should I be worried? Is there anything I can do to prevent this? Thanks.
Category: Dog
Expert:  ask_me replied 8 years ago.

The symptoms you described can be several things. The most common are bowel infection or anal glad infection/impaction. I would call the vet on thier afterhours line to let them know what is happening as anal glands can rupture ( in which case prompt attention would be needed). If they do not suggest coming in tonight, then they may just need to express the glands and give an antibioic in the morning. I hope he's doing better soon -Robyn

Please click "ACCEPT" or if you need more information "REPLY"