NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115

My dog has one eye that is turning red. The pupil

My dog has one eye that is turning red. The pupil isn't as visible as it usually is, and it seems that it's bleeding in the outside. She has that one eye more closed than the other. There is no outside bleeding, and the white part of the eye (around the pupil) looks normal. It's just that the pupil seems really red, and she my be bleeding in the outside. Is this an emergency to take to a vet tonight, or should we wait until tomorrow to see what happens.
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 9 years ago.
I'd plan on a vet visit. Depending on the quality of your local emergency vet it might be of value in preserving vision to see a vet tonight.
This could be due to a bleed into the eye or glaucoma or a scratch or puncture in that area.
You may end up needing to see a veterinary opthamologist.
You can read some on eye issues here
http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/eyetrouble.html
But if the eye looks like its protruding more thna the other one or the blood spot is getting bigger I'd see someone tonight for help if you can.
Hope this helps you!