How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask NancyH Your Own Question
NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 31958
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115
Type Your Dog Question Here...
NancyH is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Fexofenadine what amt. is considered toxic in dogs. I read ...

Resolved Question:

Fexofenadine what amt. is considered toxic in dogs. I read there was no toxicity in a dog who took 2000mg. My dog got 180mg. he weighs 100 lbs.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 9 years ago.
Fexofenadine is listed on this site
http://www.aspca.org/site/DocServer/toxbrief_1001.pdf?docID=124&AddInterest=1101
as not being toxic up to 2g per kg.
"Out of 44 canine cases in the ASPCA APCC database, only five dogs showed signs. Dose
ranges of 6.5 to 9.2 mg/kg were associated with only mild to moderate depression in four of these dogs.
The other case involved a West Highland white terrier that received 6.6 mg/kg of fexofenadine and displayed moderate to severe tachycardia, tachypnea, and dyspnea, ataxia, and hyperthermia within seven to 10 hours of exposure."
So given your dog is 45.36kg and your dog got 180mg that is about 4 times the dose considered not a problem.
I'd watch for how he acts over the next 7-10 hours and see a vet depending on any issues you find such as rapid heartbeat, rapid breathing, shortness of breath, lack of coordination, and signs of him feeling chilled.
Hope this helps you!
NancyH and 3 other Dog Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
180mg that is about 4 times the dose considered NOT a problem?

Did I read this right?
Expert:  NancyH replied 9 years ago.
Sorry I worded that badly *and* did the math wrong its only twice the amount.
the dose not considered a problem was 2mg per kg
so I figured out the kg for your dog as 45kg times 2mg (the non lethal dose per kg) would be 90 kg (aprox) and 90 goes into 180 twice not four times!
so its about double what the above article listed as no problem.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
twice the amount and NOT lethal, toxic or what? Laymans terms please. I am concerned and want to make sure I understand please
Expert:  NancyH replied 9 years ago.
There are no statistics on lethal dose that I can find, you should just watch for signs in the dog over the next few hours as side effects of the med needing supportive vet care.
If the dog just ate this in the last hour or so you can try getting him to vomit it up using 3% hydrogen peroxide
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/how-to-induce-vomiting-emesis-in-dogs/page1.aspx
If the product also had pseudoephedrine in it I'd see the vet as that does cause a problem in dogs.
If you are concerned see an emergency vet or you can call the poison hotline
ASPCA Pet Poison Hotline: 1 888 4 ANI-HELP or 1(NNN) NNN-NNNN
there is a fee there for consultations.