Dr. Smith
Dr. Smith, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian in Small Animal Practice for 13 years
2410912

My dogs penis has been hanging out for 1.5 hours and he is ...

Customer Question

My dogs penis has been hanging out for 1.5 hours and he is looking very depressed because he cant lay down or go up the stairs. Is ther something wrong?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Smith replied 9 years ago.

HiCustomer

Sorry to hear about your pet's uncomfortable condition!!Yell This can actually be a medical and sometimes surgical EMERGENCY, so I want you to carefully read all of the information that I am going to provide for you!!

First off, there is actually a condition called Paraphimosis where the penis becomes exteriorized and cannot be retracted back into the prepuce where it belongs. This condition can occur in any male, but un-neutered males are more likely to experience the problem, especially if a female in heat is around the neighborhood and they have recently experienced an erection.

A second condition, called Priapism is persistent penile erection in the absence of any type of sexual stimulation. Meaning it can happen for unknown reasons in any male, neutered or not!

For more info on these conditions, please review the following sites:

http://www.uoguelph.ca/~rfoster/repropath/surgicalpath/male/dog/maledog_pp.htm#paraphimosis

http://www.vetpro.co.uk/article-topic-19.html

From home, you can use K-Y Lubricated jelly to try and liberally lubricate the penis and try to replace it back into the prepuce. ( I know this sound "gross", but it is entirely necessary or your pet could suffer horrible repercussions!!). While you have the penis in your hand, assess closely for the presence of any foreign material, like hair or string, that may be within the prepuce or strangulating the base of the penis causing it to be engorged......remove if possible!!

Getting your pet relaxed and calm is very important in this process.

If you cannot get your pet's penis replaced or it bulges out again, than you truly need to seek emergency veterinary care for this problem.

Unfortunately, many clients wait TOO LONG, and by the time I have seen a patient with long-standing paraphimosis or priapism, the penis is typically too dried, damaged, and necrotic ( dying) to be salvaged and penile AMPUTATIONS have to be done! Surprised

I know this sounds dramatic, but I assure you, it is no laughing matter!!

If you can already tell that your pet's penis is extremely discolored, swollen, or painful, than you must go ahead and take him in on emergency to have this problem taken care of professionally.

Typically, your pet will be put under general anesthesia and a solution of lubricant and sugar water will be used to relax and "shrink" the penis so that it can be replaced into the prepuce. At that time, your vet may decide to place a temporary holding suture in the preputial opening, called a pursestring, to insure that the penis stays in place for several days and until all inflammation is resolved. Sometimes a urinary catheter is placed if your pet's ability to urinate has been compromised due to severe penile and urethral swelling/obstruction.

I hope you found this information helpful and supportive. Please remember to PRESS ACCEPT so that I can be compensated for my time and professional attention to your question and your pet's specific needs. I appreciate all feedback and any type of bonus!!

Best wishes to you and your pet!!

Dr. Jodi Lynn Smith