How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jane Lefler Your Own Question
Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 19190
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Jane Lefler is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Will eating gum hurt my dog

Customer Question

My dog ate a pack of gum and I need to know if it will be safe
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 years ago.
Hi Lisa,

If the gum was not sugarless, then your dog should be ok. However, if it was sugarless gum containing Xylitol, it may be toxic if more than just a piece or two was ingested. Symptoms of poisoning include weakness, loss of coordination, seizures and coma. If it was more than just a piece or two, your dog will need to see a Vet immediately. Take along the package the gum was in. If you are already seeing signs of poisoning you can try a drop or two of pancake syrup on the tongue, but get your dog to the Vet immediately. You can read about this here:
http://www.avma.org/press/releases/061001_xylitol.asp

I hope this information is helpful to you.