ask_me, Obedience, breeding, showing
Experience:  Well versed in all things canine! Knowledgeable in breeding, training and showing

what would cause my dogs outer ear to swell up and ...

what would cause my dog's outer ear to swell up and stay that way for days. there is no open wound or mark on his ear and it does'nt appear to bother him.
Category: Dog
Expert:  ask_me replied 9 years ago.

There are several issues that can cause a dogs ear to swell as you described. The first, is the possiblity of insect sting or bite. Sometimes it is difficult to find the point where the bite occured. These generally respond well to Benadryl (ask your vet for doseage). The second possiblity is a hematoma of the ear. You can read more about these here (warning: graphic surgical picture at bottem of link). Basically, they are blood filled pockets that appear on a dogs ear. They can be drained by the vet and followed up with antibiotic. If you need additional information, let me know. -Robyn

If this was helpful, please click the "Accept" button