Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues

My Shih Tzu has suddenly become very lethargic and seems to ...

My Shih Tzu has suddenly become very lethargic and seems to be struggling to get up and move around. He does get up and walk around when I insist, but mostly just wants to sit or lay there and not move at all. This behavior began randomly...he was fine and happy and within an hour was acting this way. I did not see him eat anything strange or potentially dangerous so I have no idea why he is like this.

Would you be able to take a rectal temperature for me?

I will stand by. Joan jav917

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Jav917's Post: How long does it take for an accurate temp reading?

The temps should be 3 mins. the normal would be 100.5*F-102.5*F. Joan jav917

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Ok...tried my best. Looks like a little over 101 on a non-digital thermometer.

Thank-you! The temperature is within the normal range.

Has your baby been around any antifreeze?

Did your baby jump up on anything (furniture) before this happened?

Has your baby been near any frogs or toads outside?

Any fertilizers used in the yard?

Joan jav917

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Jav917's Post: He hasn't been around any chemicals or fertilizers or anything like least I'm certain that none of those kinds of things are accessable to him at all. I'm not 100% sure if he has been near any frogs but I dont beleive so. He had just come up two flights of stairs to the bedroom when I first noticed him looking sad. I was considering that he may have hurt a leg or something but I have not noticed any limping.

Thank-you for the extra information. I have a suspicion that your baby may have some back problems which is common in small dogs. The stairs may have been enough to aggravate the disks in the back to cause your baby to seem lethargic. The pine is one of the most tender and easily irritated areas of a dog's body. For this evening try keeping him very quiet and still. You can give him 5 mgs of Aspirin per pound of body weight every 12 hours, for a maximum of two days. I would see if you can get into the Vet in the morning to have him examined. The Vet will most likely give him a shot to help reduce any inflammation in the disk area. Joan jav917

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thanks so much for the information! I will certainly take him to the vet in the morning and make sure he is comfortable for the night. I'm feeling a bit more releived...thanks again!

You are welcome for the information. I would love an update tomorrow after your visit to the Vet. Joan jav917