Animal Eyes
Animal Eyes, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  25 yrs working, treating, training and loving dogs, 5 yrs as an animal control officer
1527314

puppies: just had babys but she does not produce enough milk

Customer Question

my female dog just had babys but she does not produce enough milk for her 10 puppies what do I do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Animal Eyes replied 9 years ago.
Congratulations on the puppies. If the mother isn't producing enough milk for all the puppies then you will have to start feeding some of them. You will need a good milk replacer to feed them with and several puppy nursing bottles. Make sure that the tip on the bottle doesn't have too large of a hole in it. You can us regular baby bottles that have the bag in them, this will help keep the puppies from getting too much air when nursing.When you feed alternate what puppies you are doing so that every puppy gets to nurse from mom regularly. This will let the puppies get the maternal antibodies that the mother carries to help protect the puppies immune systems. Make sure that mom is getting a good quality puppy food to help her keep up her strength and keep her calcium level up.