Peter Bennett, DVM
Peter Bennett, DVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years experience as a Small Animal veterinarian
854596

my dog has heavy breathing cold feet,nose and lips he ...

Customer Question

my dog has heavy breathing cold feet,nose and lips he stairs at the ceiling and just flops down on his side and he will not get up and move around yesterday he was fine
Category: Dog
Expert:  Peter Bennett, DVM replied 9 years ago.
First thing I would do is lift his lip and check the color. Same with his eyes.

If both are pale to white, I would have to call this severe anemia. that he was 'OK' yesterday would have to be wrong...he just wasn't showing these severe signs.

The body accommodates as best it can to developing anemia, until it has no more room to maneuver. It has to concentrate on getting adequate blood flow and oxygen to the brain, so it shunts the circulation going to his legs and skin and intestines towards the brain. This happens suddenly, and is the reason for the seemingly sudden onset of the problem.

If he has poor color like this, he needs, most likely, a transfusion and then correction of the condition leading him to this state. The ideal time would be now, or ASAP. Tomorrow (Thurs) at the latest.

The most common source of anemia like this is parasitism... hookworms in particular, but DO NOT rely on simply worming him to correct this problem, or even save his life.

If, however, his color is adequate.... well, let me know if it is, OK? Hearing nothing to the contrary, I'll assume you're on the way for help.

If so, best wishes.