Tracy M
Tracy M, Registered Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Nearly 20 yrs experience in small animal medicine, emergency, and specialty practice.

my Lhasa wont stop scratching and biting at

Customer Question

my Lhasa won't stop scratching and biting at herself. She seems to have red marks and a few scabs, especially around her tail. Plus, she's shivering a lot, which is unusal. I shaved her coat down to get a better look at her skin, but aside from the few red marks and scabs, she seems to be in good condition. I haven't noticed any change in her eating or drinking and bathroom habits. Should I be worried?
Submitted: 7 years ago via
Category: Dog
Expert:  Tracy M replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for looking into this.

Is she on flea preventative?

Does she go outside?

Have you treated her with anything to this point?

How long has she been itching?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Tracy M's Post: She does go outside. I don't remember the last flea treatment I gave her (Frontline), so it must not have been too recent.
She's been itching with increasing aggession over the last couple of weeks. She also got into some cat food last weekend when we were visiting relatives.
Could it be related to the cat food or fleas? Should I just give her another flea treatment ASAP or could it be something serious? What about the shivering? Is that serious or is she just chilly and nervous from getting a haircut.
Thank you so much for your response! This is the first time I've used this site and I'm extremely greatful for all your help.
Expert:  Tracy M replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for the additional information. There are a couple of things that can cause this itching. The first one is fleas. I would definitely treat her with the frontline once a month. The other reason could be food allergies. I would treat for fleas, and if you don't see an improvement, you should have her evaluated by a vet, to determine what steps to take. Also, you mentioned she recently got a haircut. Sometimes, the shampoo or clippers can cause an irritation. You can also give her benadryl at a dose of 1mg/kg or 1/2 mg per pound. Let me know if any of these suggestions work. I am here if you need more help. Good luck with your baby.