ask_me
ask_me, Obedience, breeding, showing
Experience:  Well versed in all things canine! Knowledgeable in breeding, training and showing
5181091

why does my dog keep flicking her tongue in and out

Customer Question

my dog keeps running her tongue in and out like her mouth is dry.
Category: Dog
Expert:  ask_me replied 9 years ago.

Dogs exhibit this behavior for several reasons. One of the most common is if they are having a dental issue. Check her mouth for any visably cracked or damaged teeth. Abscesses can also cause this, but aren't as identifyable by looking. Another issue that can cause this is if she has a foreign object lodged in her mouth or throat. Check to make sure she didn't get into anything (trash etc.). Finally, some focal seizures can cause "fly biting" or "fly licking" where the dog opens and closes their mouth as if they are catching a bug (neurological issue). More likley then not, it is often a dental problem. I would suggest having your vet take a look at her teeth. If you have any other questions, let me know. -Robyn

If this was helpful, please click the "Accept" button

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
we had her teeth cleaned afew months ago,her problem could have started after that.she use to do it just once in awhile but lately she seems to be doing it every day.she's a 7 year old mixed breed,combo of mastiff and shepard we believe.
Expert:  ask_me replied 9 years ago.

Thanks for the additional information. Abscesses, cracks tonge infections etc., can occur at any time, but I would suggest that you remind the vet that this behavior increased after her dental cleaning. Many times, a few days of antibiotics will due the trick. I hope she's feeling better soon and if you have any other questions, let me know. -Robyn