Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

dog: started dragging his front right leg (knockeling)..rushed

Customer Question

my dog started dragging his front right leg (knockeling) and now it's also his rear right leg to. He looses his balacne and can hardly stand up. The vet said he had Ostioarthritis but I don't think so.One morning he tried to get up and started screaming and I rushed him to the vet. The vet put him on meticam but he's not getting bettter. He can't hardly walk without falling and he is always cupping his paw when he walks and now both the front and back rite leg and foot is doing it.I can't afford more money for guessing games from vets. If I could afford it I would take him to Dr. Edwards in California,he saved this dogs life once when he ate a tube of horse wormer.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Tracy M replied 9 years ago.

Thank you for looking into this.

What kind of dog is he?

How old is he?

When did this start?

Is he still painful?

Is he eating and drinking OK?

Urinating and defecating normally?

Is he on any other medication, besides the metacam?

Is he still on the metacam?

Is he on strict rest or is he still active?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I'm sorry Tracy but I had him put down this morning. He lost control of all his legs. I took him to a Specialist in California whom I have known for year and he examined him and told me that he won't get better that his prognosis was poor to grave. He said that one of three things going on, Intervertebral Disk extrusion, a Tumor on the spinal cord or Vascular Accident. He advised me that it was his time to go. To answer your questions, he was 9 years old. Breed...Collie,Sheaperd, Sharpi, and Chow mixed.He was on Metcam all the way through. He ate good and drank water fine. He had a sound mind and was in very little pain while on his meds.
Expert:  Tracy M replied 9 years ago.

Oh, I am so sorry to hear this. I do however, agree with the possible causes you were given for his condition. I am glad to know that he was not in pain. I am truly sorry for your loss.

I will post this as an info request so that you won't be asked to pay.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank you Tracy.