ChristineLVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Licensed veterinary technician (B.S. Mercy College), 10 yrs in animal medicine and training

How long after the dog eats can I give insulin

We are in our 2nd week of insulin injections for our 8 yr old Cairn terrier. I feed him around 6 pm, and I just found his insulin shot on the counter 4 hours later....must have forgotten to give it. Should I give it now or wait to give any until after he eats tomorrow morning?

Skip it and for future reference as well: if you accidentally miss a dose, relax, and just pick up again at next schedule time after eating. While it is always best to never miss a dose, that would be unreasonable to think we all don't miss it from time to time (I've had a few myself, having a diabetic cat in my household). It happens to us all. But you don't want to give it at an odd time, throwing off the schedule and possibly causing hypoglycemic reactions too. Just don't worry, that dose was skipped, and pick up again in the morning after his breakfast. Better to let the sugar be high for the night than too low and more dangerous.

Best of luck. Let me know if I can help further with anything,