Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

My dog has been sniffing the air almost bending over ...

My dog has been sniffing the air almost bending over backwards and acting quite jittery. He is constantly looking up in the air as if he is seeing something but there is nothing there. He then seems to get nervous or frightened and hides under the bed. It has been getting worse in the last few days and he seems to follow me every where. He was recently bitten by a squirrel, He was seen by a vet and is up to date with his shots.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 9 years ago.

HI thre4 me,

It is possible that your dog is having partial (focal or Aura) seizures. This will not render a dog unresponsive however it will show abnormal behaviors. Some dog will hide, circle, pace, lick the air, snap at imaginary flies, pace, whine, bark , become clingy to the owner (or the opposite) ,wander and the list goes on. There are breeds that are more prone to epilepsy than others, however any dog can experience these. These type of seizures can last from minutes to days in duration.

I am going to direct you to a site on epilepsy and there will be explanation of the different types of seizures a dog can have.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
His behavior seems to be almost constant. He is not snapping at anything, just chin straight up in the air sniffing from side to side almost to the point of falling over, and panting heavier then normal. I was also thinking some sort of seizure or possibly anxiety attack?? Do you have any info on anxiety?
Expert:  Sally G. replied 9 years ago.

Dogs can get compultions just as people do. This would be an activity that is done over and over without the control to stop.