How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask NancyH Your Own Question
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 31958
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
Type Your Dog Question Here...
NancyH is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my dog just ate vasline is this toxic to him

Resolved Question:

I came downstairs to find my dog eating vaseline from a jar, I saw on the back that if swallowed contact a poison control center asap, will this hurt my 1 year old chocolate lab
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 9 years ago.
No it is not toxic but you may find he has some digestive upset and loose stools as he would if he ate a lot of any oily product.
If it was plain vaseline he should be fine. The person who invented vaseline ate some every day.
The cat hairball remedies Laxatone and Petromalt are flavored vaseline. So it isn't toxic - my guess is the manufacturer puts that label warning on everything.
If it had other things in it than petroleum jelly then that might be an issue.
You can see it's listed here as Petroleum jelly on non toxic things dogs frequently eat
Hope this helps you!
NancyH and 2 other Dog Specialists are ready to help you

Related Dog Questions