S. August Abbott, CAS
S. August Abbott, CAS, Own Animal Care/Rescue Org.
Experience:  We rescue what others leave behind; Animal Care author; Behavior & Nutrition Consults
1604863

my dog has a fever, can I give him ibuprofen

Customer Question

Buster, age 6, Poodle, 24 lbs. Has a sore on his face for about 3 weeks. 2 weeks ago, he saw our vet who gave him a steroid shot, an antibiotic shot and started him on 7 days of a twice a day antibiotic. He was doing much better while he was on his meds, but now he is lethargic and feels warm.
Category: Dog
Expert:  S. August Abbott, CAS replied 9 years ago.
I'm so glad you asked first

Tylenol/acetaminophen and Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil, Nuprin, etc) should never be given to a dog.

Benadryl ( Diphenhydramine, for allergies) should never be given without a veterinary recommendation. Doseage is typically .50 to 2 mg per pound of body weight just one or two times a day. A baby measuring spoon/eye dropper, medication delivery device is recommended to assure proper administration.

- Remember, side effects may be life threatening. It should never be given without a veterinarian recommending it -

Some medical professionals may administer NSAIDS for pain relief, but they know what they're doing and have access to different doses. Few people realize that two regular aspirin may kill a small dog.

Dogs tolerate simple (acetylsalicylic acid) aspirin products (offered only on occasion; they may cause stomach upset or ulcers if given too frequently, plus they are a blood thinner, so it may completely inappropriate in some animals).

An 8 lb dog would generally be given ½ of a baby aspirin (40 mg) or less. Your companion should be ok with a single baby aspirin at her weight, but just one and then follow up with your vet.

Before treating him yourself though, you should really make sure there's a reason to.

If you don't have a thermometer specifically for animal use, you're going to convert the current ‘people' plastic digital thermometer right now. You can always pick up another people thermometer tomorrow, but at this moment, you're going to take your companion's temp.

Put a dab of KY Jelly or even petroleum jelly at the tip. In a pinch, a bit of cooking oil will do. Make sure the thermometer is ‘on' and insert it about 1" into the anus, ever so gently and while soothing them, keeping things calm.

Normal temps for both dogs and cats are between 100.5 and 102.5

Above 102.5 but below 103.5 can probably be watched at home; however, anything over that really should be evaluated by a vet. At least put a call into your vet for further advice which he/she will be better able to give you since they have a record of your individual companion and know the latest physical/health history.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Our only thermometer is the kind that one uses in the ear, which reads the temp on the ear drum. We also have a forehead reading one, but it is not accurate for human use.

Since I don't have baby aspirin or a thermometer, should I run out to the 24 hour Drug Store and get them (only 4 blocks away) or should I try to reduce the temp using cold compresses?

You can try the ear thermometer. First we need to really determine whether or not there's a fever and if so, how much. The ear thermometers can be accurate with animals, be sure to insert it about midway into the ear.

Let me know ok? I'll stay on .

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I went ahead and got the regular thermometer and the baby aspirin. I just got back, so I'll check his temp and let you know.

OK. I'm still here.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
OK, No temperature, it was 100.5. So I am glad I did not give him anything. We'll monitor him tonight and call our regular vet in the morning, unless you think we should do something else. Thanks so much for your answers.

You've done all the right things! From asking about the ibuprofen to begin with to going the extra mile on the trip to the drug store.

Good job. I hope you all have a very good night.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to TheCaretaker's Post: Thank you and good night.