Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

my cat is unbalanced, dizzy, and his left side is messed ...

my cat is unbalanced, dizzy, and his left side is messed up. he lifts his left leg when he walks (can hardly walk). this happened before, about a month ago-now again for the first time since today. i'm scared! he is weak and when i stand him up to walk, he almost falls, and holds his left leg up in the air-as though he has kidney pain or something!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 9 years ago.

Hi Melissa,

It sounds like your cat has vestibular disease. This is when the inner ear and brain do not communicate and it throws the cat off balance. An inner ear infection can cause this or sometimes it is idiopathic , meaning there is no known cause. I would bring the vet in for examination of the ears and to check for a thiamine deficiency. If this is idiopathic then it will subside in a few weeks.

Here is more on this: http://www.petplace.com/cats/vestibular-disease-in-cats/page1.aspx

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Sally Grott's Post: i felt under his inner left leg/inner left belly area (the side that seems to be bothering him), and there seems to be a swolen gland or something-but there is something big and swollen! help! are you sure? he throws up a lot too, this has happened once before!
Expert:  Sally G. replied 9 years ago.

Hi melissa,

Vestibular disease would not cause a lump, if the lump is soft and fluid filled then you may be dealing with an infection, if the lump is fastened to the tissue underneath then it is more serious. I would take the cat in to have the lump examined. The vomiting could be from an infection or from being dizzy. You may have more than one thing going on here. You said it happened before, what was the outcome? Did you seek Vet help?

Lumps http://www.petplace.com/cats/skin-growth-lump-swelling-or-mass-in-cats/page1.aspx