Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues

dog question - my dog sounds like she has croup --

dog question - my dog sounds like she has croup -- that seal like cough...I've been wracking my brain trying to think what it is (vet has her on second round of antibiotics, took chest xrays all okay)...she likes to sleep in my closet and it just occured to me I brought home 7 shirts from the drycleaners -- could the fumes be causing this problem?? Eh gads...
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 9 years ago.

Dogs can suffer allergies and asthma the same way humans do. They can be affected by the fumes from the shirts as you suspect(Since the chemical dry cleaning solutions are strong),dust or some other airborne allergen. I would try moving the shirts to a different closet and see if that may help relieve the problem. Many animals are also having problems with the air fresheners and candles that people use in their homes. This may be a trial and error method to eliminate different factors that may be the problem. You may want to try an Ionizer in the area where the dog stay the most as well as a humidifier to air with the breathing. Joan jav917